The Return to Westerbork Foundation wants to make an international contribution to the attention for 75 years of peace and freedom in the Netherlands and Germany. We want to reach young people through education and sport, so that they can pass on the message of peace and freedom to future generations. To that end, we held two seminars (1 in Breda, the Netherlands and 1 in Germany, Berlin) in 2019 and 2020 and developed an educational curriculum for education.
We also organized:
- An educational bike ride for 54 students. The tour went as much as possible along the route of the former railway line from Westerbork to Auschwitz. The tour was ridden by students from the Netherlands, Germany and Poland.
- A fixed tourist cycle route from Bergen-Belsen to Westerbork and vice versa for individuals or groups, recreational, tour and sports cyclists.
Bicycle tour Auschwitz – Westerbork
- Departure August 18, 2021 by night bus
- Start cycling tour August 20, 2021 at the former concentration camp Auschwitz
- The tour partly followed the route of the former Westerbork-Auschwitz railway line
- Stopovers at various historical locations, such as Bergen-Belsen and Dresden
- The tour ended on August 31, 2021 at the Camp Westerbork Memorial Center
- The distance to be cycled was approximately 850 kilometers.